In Pennsylvania, more than 7,000 people are waiting for life-saving transplants. PA Donor Day is celebrated January 8—or 1/8—to remind everyone that one donor can save up to eight lives, and another 75 people can benefit from tissue and cornea donation from a single donor.
This year, the goal is to get five million Pennsylvanians registered as donors. Donate Life highlights the ways one donor can make a difference by:
- Saving up to eight lives and improve quality of life for 75 people
- Freeing two people from dialysis treatments
- Providing life-saving transplants for people needing a heart, liver, lung, or pancreas
- Giving sight to two people
- Repairing injured joints and save an arm or leg threatened by a cancer diagnosis
- Helping burn victims heal more quickly